14 to 20 positions (about half each gender)
When on site: reside in cabin with 4-8 youth campers. Some times work shared with another counselor; some times work “solo.” Lead “family group” of 6-10 campers in program, including Bible study and discussion, work projects, hiking, games, worship, service projects, etc. Serve in support position(s) one or more sessions as assigned. Follow and support all Christikon policies and procedures relating to staff and campers. When in trails program: lead backpack groups, working closely with one other counselor Assume responsibility for safety, health, social development, and spiritual growth of assigned campers.
Responsible to: Director. At times also responsible to Support Staff who are in supervisory roles (e.g. Head Cook, Lodge Supervisor, Trails Room Coordinator, Secretary, Heath Care Manager, Maintenance Supervisor.
General Responsibility: Assume responsibility for safety, health, social development and spiritual growth of assigned campers.
- Learn the likes, dislikes, hopes and special needs of assigned campers.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving in the group.
- Develop opportunities for interaction between campers and staff.
- Provide opportunities for discussion of individual or group problems or concerns.
- Help each camper meet the goals established by the camp for camper development.
- Carry out established roles for supervising camper health.
- Carry out established roles in enforcing camp safety regulations.
- Instruct campers in emergency procedures.
General Responsibility: Carry out camp programs.
- In on-site program, reside in cabin and provide supervision for campers assigned to cabin, including personal hygiene, rising and retiring times, and cabin clean-up.
- In on-site program, lead “family group” in program activities, including Bible study and discussion, service projects, hiking and overnights, games and other recreation, small-group worship, and cleaning duties in kitchen and bath house.
- In trails programs, lead backpack and/or CreationCare and/or Wayfarers groups, working closely with one other counselor.
- Help campers plan their participation in “family group” and camp-wide programs, special events, and activities.
- Serve in Support Service position(s) one or more sessions as assigned.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to communicate and work with assigned campers, and to provide them with necessary instruction.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
- Mobility, strength and endurance to lead campers on hikes, overnights, and longer-term backpacks in mountainous terrain.